Collaboration between parents and school is essential to create a partnership that allows a child to successfully access the Core Principles of Public Waldorf Education. Towards that end, every year NCS requests that families acknowledge their choice of their child’s participation in the program. This allows both the School and Family to recommit to their responsibilities in partnership.
The School Will
- Provide a safe and positive learning environment.
- Provide a quality program based on the Core Principles of Public Waldorf Education.
- Maintain regular ongoing communication with parents through newsletters.
- Inform parents of the progress of the class through regular letters and Parent Evenings led by the teachers. Via these communications, teachers will encourage and educate parents on how to be actively involved and supportive of their child’s education.
- Provide time for at least one parent-teacher conference per child per year.
- Maintain the quality of the program by providing professional development for teachers.
- Resolve conflicts by following the communication model outlined in the Parent Handbook.
- Provide opportunities for parent education.
The Family Will
- Understand that this is a school of choice and agree to support the school and teachers in their endeavor to educate.
- Assume primary responsibility for the values, attitudes, and behavior of their children, and support the school’s Discipline and Academic Integrity Policies.
- Support the curriculum by actively striving to understand the pedagogy and providing a lifestyle that supports it (rhythmic, healthy).
- Monitor/limit their children’s exposure to media according to the School Media Guidelines.
- Ensure children are dressed in compliance with the Dress Code as articulated in the Parent Handbook.
- Attend Parent Evenings and parent-teacher conferences as scheduled by the teacher.
- Have children attend school regularly, arrive on time, and pick them up promptly at dismissal time.
- Read the Parent Handbook (novatocharterschool.org) and agree to adhere to the school’s philosophy and policies.
- For Kindergarten A (Transitional) Parents Only: By enrolling my child(ren) in KA/Transitional, I am consenting to his/her participation in the two-year program, and understand that under no circumstances will my child be advanced to First Grade without first having completed the two-year program.
- Meet with school administration in the event that the school believes any of the above partnership agreements are not being met.